Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Blessed Pope John Paul II and Divine Mercy Sunday

St Faustina Kowalska
It's not really called Divine Mercy Sunday, it's officially the 2nd Sunday of Easter - Divine Mercy so there is a bit of leeway there!  It's one of the promulgations of the new Beatus that I find very difficult to understand.

I have no problem with the concept of devotion to God's Mercy but the whole rigmarole around St Faustina Kowalska, her visions and her writings makes little sense to me.  Her community considered that she suffered from religious delusions and her writings were suppressed by the Vatican but I suppose that has applied to many Saints in the past.

When I first saw the Divine Mercy picture I thought it was some sort of holy wrapping paper!

Individual visions or revelations are not something we have to either believe in or respond to, thank goodness, though there is no doubt that the Divine Mercy devotions and the Chaplet of Divine Mercy strike a chord with a great number of people.....but I am not amongst them.

No comments:

Post a Comment