Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Back to the Blog, Sede Vacante, Stamps, Cardinals and Capsica

I'm amazed to discover that some people have missed this blog!  I had rather thought it would become boring and there was little interest in my opinions.  I know that I tend to be intimidated by those who consider themselves 'traditionalist', 'true to the Magisterium' or what-ever you like to call it and unchurch anyone who disagrees with them and that is why I have not written here for 10 months.  Sede Vacante seems to be a good reason to write again.  Apparently the stamps are going like hot cakes!

I've been busy reading all the possible papabilli comments ever since Benedict XVI abdicated but I am rather cynical about it as everyone was wrong about Cardinal Ratzinger.  He wasn't on any reporter's list probably up until John Paul II's funeral and his sermon before the Conclave.  Benedict XVI's abdication has certainly put a cat among the pigeons as this time there was no long visible dying process to allow the cardinals to think seriously about a successor long in advance.  I'm sure Benedict saw the results of an incapacitated Pope so close at hand and the problems it created that he was determined never to be in that position himself.  And, more to the point, how bad it was for the Church as a whole.

Everyone wants Super Pope, an able manager, a charismatic leader, a strong...but not too strong...personality, a multi linguist, a pastoral man, a brilliant theologian and above all a holy person, a man of prayer.  It seems impossible and so is the job.  Fortunately the Holy Spirit has a hand in this so such a man  may exist.

Adopt a Cardinal

What a brilliant idea and over 497 000 have responded so far.  Just click HERE to go to the site.  You have are given a cardinal at random to pray for during the conclave.  I imagine many people will keep him in their prayers afterwards as well.

I was given Péter Erdő, from Hungary, born 1952-6-25.
He's been a Cardinal since 2003-10-21 and he is Archbishop of Esztergom-Budapest, Hungary.  I had to look him up!




Incidentally I have these capsicums growing in my vegetable garden.  They are known as Bishop's Crowns.  They come from South America but grow well in the West Indies and also in Europe but aren't common in Africa. Is that a hint?  The 'wings' are sweet, there is little flesh and a very mild bite on the aftertaste.

I can also add that Cappuccino Coffee comes from the colour of a Capuchin's robes......

No comments:

Post a Comment